Sunday, December 8, 2013


Applications are still being accepted for the 2014 drawing

PRATT – Seventy-two Kansas-based nonprofit organizations have already applied for the coveted
Kansas Wildlife, Parks and Tourism Commission Big Game Permits, but there is still time left for other organizations to apply. Applicants have until Jan.1, 2014 to apply for one of seven big game permits to be drawn at the Jan. 9, 2014 commission meeting. Permits may include one elk, one antelope or up to seven deer, depending upon the preferences of the drawn organizations.

Any Kansas-based nonprofit organization that actively promotes wildlife conservation and the hunting and fishing heritage is eligible to apply. Only one permit per organization will be awarded; however, individual chapters of the same organization may receive permits. A chapter or organization is eligible to receive only one Commission Big Game permit in a three-year period.

Organizations that draw a permit must pay KDWPT the permit fee, and they will be issued a voucher. The voucher can then be auctioned off to raise money for conservation projects. The final recipient must remit the voucher to KDWPT’s licensing section to receive the big game permit. Permits may be issued to resident or nonresident hunters and are valid in management units and seasons listed on the permits.

To apply, organizations must submit an application that includes a copy of their 501(c)(3) nonprofit status, articles of incorporation and mission statement, as well as the organization’s preference for an elk, antelope or deer permit. Applications can be downloaded from KDWPT’s website,; enter “2013 Commission Big Game Permit” in the search box. Mail applications to Sheila Kemmis, Commission Secretary, Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism, 512 SE 25th Ave., Pratt, KS 67124.

Once an organization sells a permit, not less than 85 percent of the amount is returned to KDWPT to be spent on mutually agreed-upon projects. The remaining 15 percent can be spent at the organization’s discretion. (If Kansas Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry (KFHFH) receives a permit, not less than 15 percent of the funds raised is remitted to KDWPT with 85 percent staying with KFHFH.)

Friday, December 6, 2013


English: White-tailed deer

Buy a license or permit and give the gift of the outdoors this holiday
PRATT – Looking for the perfect gift for dad? Need an affordable stocking stuffer for the kids? Consider purchasing a 2014 hunting or fishing license. Starting Monday, Dec. 16, 2013, all licenses and permits for the 2014 season will go on sale, and for those looking for one last “hoorah” of the year, 2014 license holders can hit the field or a stream the very same day.
2014 hunting and fishing licenses and permits can be purchased online at, at any Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism state park or regional office, and at any license vendor beginning Dec. 16.
New this year, significant price reductions have been placed on youth deer, turkey and antelope permits, for hunters age 15 and younger. Youth fees that have been reduced beginning 2014 are as follows:
General Resident Youth Deer Permit: $10.00
General Resident Youth Antelope Permit: $10.00
General Resident Youth Turkey Permit (1-bird limit): $5.00
Resident Youth Turkey Game Tag (1-bird limit): $5.00
General Resident Youth Turkey Permit/Game Tag Combination (2-bird limit): $10.00
Nonresident Youth Turkey Permit (1-bird limit): $10.00
Nonresident Youth Turkey Game Tag (1-bird limit): $10.00
Nonresident Youth Turkey Permit/Game Tag Combination (2-bird limit): $20.00
Nonresident Youth Combination 2-deer Permit (antlered deer and antlerless white-tailed deer): $90.00
Nonresident Youth Antelope Permit (Archery only): $100.00
For more information, visit

Thursday, December 5, 2013


Online comments sought on draft outdoor plan

PRATT ­– A draft of the Kansas Outdoor Recreation Report - also called the State Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan (SCORP), is now available for review at the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism’s (KDWPT) website, The National Park Service requires Kansas to produce the report in order to remain eligible for Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) Grants. Kansas has received more than $50 million in LWCF grant funding since the program began in 1965.

The Outdoor Recreation Report/Plan is used by the state to assess the status of outdoor experiences and to examine important outdoor issues facing the state. It contains recommendations on how the state might best address some of its shortcomings, with the intended results being a more optimal supply of experiences and enhanced benefits to residents and visitors. As the plan was developed, KDWPT sought public input on topics including managed park use, issues and needs, and the types of experiences park-goers hope to have in the future.

To review the draft plan and submit comments go to and click on “State Parks.”