TOPEKA — The Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission will conduct a public meeting and hearing on Thursday, Jan. 6, at the Dole Institute, 2350 Petefish Drive in Lawrence. The afternoon session will begin at 1:30 p.m. and recess at 5 p.m., and the evening session will begin at 7 p.m. For the first time ever, live streaming audio of the meeting will be broadcast over the internet. A link will be provided on the KDWP website, www.kdwp.state.ks.us, for anyone who wants to follow along with the proceedings.
The afternoon session will begin with an overview of the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks’ (KDWP) 2011 Kansas legislative agenda, followed by a general discussion period on the following topics:
- Commissioner Big Game permit update and drawing;
- Kanopolis trapping update;
- mountain lion sighting update;
- Outdoor Recreation Management System (ORMS) update;
- Kansas Wildlifer Challenge program;
- natural resource planner demonstration; and
- firearm magazine capacity request.
- KAR 115-25-5 — turkey, fall season, bag limit, and permits;
- KAR 115-25-7 — antelope, open season, bag limit, and permits; and
- KAR 115-25-8 — elk, open season, bag limit, and permits.
- KAR 115-25-Series – deer regulations;
- big game permanent regulations;
- potential regulation changes to address aquatic nuisance species; and
- KAR 115-16-5 — wildlife control permit, operation requirements.
Time will be set aside in both the afternoon and evening sessions for public comment on topics that are not on the agenda. If necessary, the commission will recess on Jan. 6 and reconvene at the same location at 9 a.m., Jan. 7, to complete unfinished business.
If notified in advance, the department will have an interpreter available for the hearing impaired. To request an interpreter, call the Kansas Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing at 1-800-432-0698. Any individual with a disability may request other accommodations by contacting the Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission secretary at 620-672-5911.
The next commission meeting is scheduled for Thursday, March 10, at the KDWP Region 2 Office, 300 SW Wanamaker Road in Topeka.